Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mom's Christmas Sticky Buns ...In July


I have been making bread for a while now using my new lovely breadmaker. I decided that I would like to try making my mom's sticky buns.
She normally only makes these at Christmas, but for some reason I've been craving foods that remind me of home and family.
After a quick phone call to my sister I had the recipe.


Mom's Christmas Sticky Buns

  • Frozen Buns
  • 1/2 c. Butter or Margarine
  • 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
  • 2 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 1/2 pkg. Butterscotch Pie Filling (NOT instant pudding)
  • 1/2 jar Maraschino cherries with juice
  • Pecans
Grease Bundt pan. Add cherries and pecans in bundt pan, then place frozen buns in. Cream remaining ingredients and spoon over buns. (the mixture will not be runny, but thicker and can be crumbled over) Cover with saran wrap and let rise overnight.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes.
Place cookie sheet below bundt pan in oven to catch sugar - runoff.


Of course, remember to flip the bundt pan onto a tray so you can enjoy your sticky buns properly.
It's an easy recipe that everyone enjoys - I know hubs sure did!

I've made an amazing discovery this week, one of my friends from Church actually makes wonderful sculpted puppets. She loves fairies and fairyfolk and most of her puppets are of these wonderful little creatures. She lent me one of her favorite books: "The Faeries Of Spring Cottage" ~ Wendy Froud & Terry Windling
It's a lovely children's picturebook and all the illustrations are photos of the fairy puppets Wendy Froud created.

She is also accredited with the creation of Yoda from the Starwars movies!

As an artist myself, (well artist may be a strong word ;) ) We showed each other our work and it seems I've been commissioned to create an ink drawing of their dog - they offered me money for it, but I asked instead for one of her puppets as payment. She does sell them, but due to the materials involved, it can be expensive. So I found this a nice little window in which to perhaps get my own little fairy.
She was very happy to agree to that and said that she'd much prefer to trade art for art then use cash.



I am much looking forward to that, and I find myself more inspired to draw because I am looking forward to owning one of her puppets so much - - nothing like a little motivation to keep me going!

God Bless!

2 comments:

~Bren~ said...

I am not surprised you have a need for mom's comfort food. I am glad you made the effort to create some!

I do hope you show some of your art work on your blog.

Vanessa said...

okay Jenny - It's almost been a week. . .keep pushing these posts!! I'm waiting to see them!!

Henry is grabing toys and putting them in his mouth and starting to giggle. Oh ya - and he said his first sentence: "I miss aunti Jenny and love her so much!!"

. . .ok he didn't acutally SAY that. . .but he's DEFINITELY thinking it. A mother knows her children, ya know.

Love you and miss you!
Vanessa